BABYLON, BABYLON. WHEREFORE ART THOU O BABYLON!
We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home; nor shall her chosen altar be neglected.
— President Grover Cleveland
Both the nation and the city of Babylon get a lot of press in the Holy Bible. In a few instances, Babylon is mentioned prominently in prophecy in relation to the end times. It seems that Babylon will play a leading role in the end time scenario just prior to the gathering of Armies at Megiddo (Armageddon). Earlier in this book we pointed to several prophecies that strongly indicate that we are now living in the last days prior to the return of Jesus the Christ. We are quickly approaching the time of the carnage in the Valley of Jezreel which is normally, but inaccurately, called the Battle of Armageddon. If we are indeed living in the last days (and we are) and if Babylon is to play a significant role in these end times (and she is to play a significant role), then we are left with an enigmatic question: Where is Babylon today? Or perhaps what is Babylon today?
Let’s remember that over 2½ millennia ago Babylon was the home and the kingdom of King Nebuchadnezzar. Babylon referred both to the ancient city and to the nation of King Nebuchadnezzar. Ruins of the original City of Babylon still stand today. This ancient City of Babylon is a short distance south of Baghdad within the modern country of Iraq which is today controlled by the United States of America. The old city lies close to the 33rd parallel. Babylon was the nation used by God to discipline his Kingdom of Judah by carrying the Jews into captivity. The Prophet Daniel, who was one of the Jewish men carried into captivity, was probably in his late teens at the time of the Babylonian invasion of Judah. While in captivity Daniel told the King in detail about a dream which had been troubling the King.
Daniel 2:31- 45 – Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This image’s head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay. Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth. This is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king. Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold. And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth. And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise. And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters’ clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay. And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken. And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay. And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.
We see from the above that Daniel told the King that God had revealed a prophecy concerning five Kingdoms. One kingdom was of gold (which was Babylon), one of silver, one of brass, one of iron, and one of iron mixed with clay. God was revealing to King Nebuchadnezzar the history of the world down to our time today, and he was doing so in advance of that history. That Kingdom of Babylon was later conquered by the Persians (the kingdom of silver). Babylon, as it was in the time of Daniel, has not existed as a nation since 539 B.C. when Babylon was conquered by Cyrus II of Persia. This being the case, do we not have a bit of an enigma if Babylon is heavily referenced as being a part of the end time scenario? Before we read some of the verses pertaining to the prophecies concerning Babylon, and before we discuss the apparent enigma, let’s first remember “that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation” (II Peter 1:20). Isaiah also taught us that prophecy must be pieced together like a puzzle.
Isaiah 28:9-13 – Whom shall he teach knowledge? And whom shall he make to understand doctrine? Them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue (English, perhaps) will he speak to this people. To whom he said, this is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
So let’s remember as we peruse through the following material in this chapter that we must try and cement an answer concerning Babylon from all the various prophetic scriptures which were written by various authors over several centuries of time. If we begin to doubt that it is logical to piece together scriptures in such a fashion or if we begin to wonder why God did not make this more simple for us, let’s remember what God has told us in Proverbs 25 verse2: “It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.” Are we not to be kings in God’s kingdom while serving under the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? Then let us claim our honour and search out this matter.
Let’s also notice another item. It is conceivable that the references to Babylon in prophecy could possibly be referring to some city or nation OTHER than ancient Babylon. As an example of this type thinking, we can see that The Creator in scripture has called his capitol city of Jerusalem by another name – that name being SODOM! If Jerusalem could be referred to by the name of Sodom, then perhaps Babylon could be referring to another city/nation as well.
Jeremiah 23:14 – I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
Revelation 11:8 – And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
In attempting to identify Babylon today, let’s begin at the end. In the book of Revelation, Jesus through his Apostle John reveals much to us concerning the end of days of this dispensation. One of the subjects addressed by Jesus is Babylon. We are told that Babylon is a MYSTERY. It is revealed when we read carefully, that Babylon refers both to a city and to a nation and to all that goes with the government of that nation – particularly that nation’s economic system. As we read the scriptures pertaining to MYSTERY Babylon, and to various other Old Testament scriptures of prophecy concerning Babylon, let’s not forget that we are now IN the END TIMES, and that MYSTERY Babylon is necessarily a part of the END TIMES scenario. This means that MYSTERY Babylon is alive and well on Planet Earth TODAY! Our job will be to locate MYSTERY Babylon. We must find a nation and a city on Planet Earth that fits the description of all the prophetic verses pertaining to Babylon. There can only be one, and it will be the ONLY possibility of the one nation and city which fits the prophetic description. A portion of the information needed to make the identification of MYSTERY Babylon is revealed to us from Revelation in the following scriptures. Let’s particularly note the words in bold red; these will help us later in piecing together the puzzle concerning the present location of MYSTERY Babylon.
- And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
- With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
- So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
- And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
- And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
- And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
- And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
- The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
- And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
- And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
- And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
- And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
- These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
- These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
- And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
- And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
- For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
- And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
- And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.
- And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
- For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
- And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
- For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
- Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
- How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
- Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
- And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
- Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
- And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:
- The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,
- And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.
- And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all.
- The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing,
- And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!
- For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,
- And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!
- And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.
- Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her.
- And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.
- And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee;
- And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.
- And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.
Note that the word MERCHANT as used above in Revelation would refer to wholesalers or captains of corporations. The Online Bible Greek Lexicon defines the word as “a merchant as opposed to a retailer or petty tradesman.”
MYSTERY as used in Revelation 17 is defined in the Greek Online Greek Lexicon as shown below.
This word is from a derivative of muo (to shut the mouth);
1) hidden thing, secret, mystery
1a) generally mysteries, religious secrets, confided only to the initiated and not to ordinary mortals
1b) a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding
1c) a hidden purpose or counsel
1c1) secret will
1c1a) of men
1c1b) of God: the secret counsels which govern God in dealing with the righteous, which are hidden from ungodly and wicked men but plain to the godly
2) in rabbinic writings, it denotes the mystic or hidden sense
Sorceries as used above comes from the Greek word pharmakeia. It is the source of our English word pharmacy.
From Strongs Greek Lexicon:
pharmakeia far-mak-i’-ah; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):— sorcery, witchcraft.
And from the Online Bible Greek Lexicon:
AV-sorcery 2, witchcraft 1; 3
- the use or the administering of drugs
- sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it
From the above two chapters in Revelation we have developed some of the clues which might eventually lead us to the true identity of Babylon.
- We have learned that Babylon is to be a MYSTERY. From the definition of the word MYSTERY we know that Babylon will likely be “a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding,” and that it may well have “a hidden purpose or counsel.”
- We have learned that Babylon is a “great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.”
- We have learned that the merchants (or CORPORATIONS) of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
- We have learned that ALL the world has dealt in the numerous and abundant commodities handled through the center of the world economic system called MYSTERY Babylon.
- We have learned that MYSTERY Babylon must be a harbor city since every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, and cried when they saw (from their ships) the smoke of her burning.
- We have learned that MYSTERY Babylon must be the major focal point or hub of worldwide sea trade since all that had ships in the sea were made rich by reason of her costliness (magnificence, wealth, or abundance).
- We might guess that MYSTERY Babylon is a central influence on the worldwide music industry since we are told that “the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in Babylon.”
- We have learned that MYSTERY Babylon is the stomping ground of the ELITE leaders of the world economy since we are told that thy merchants were the great men of the earth.
- Finally we might guess that MYSTERY Babylon is the focal center of the entire worldwide drug trade (both legal and illegal), since we are told that by thy sorceries (pharmacy) were all nations deceived.
Now that we know what Jesus revealed to us about MYSTERY Babylon in the Book of Revelation, let’s look at some of the Old Testament prophecies concerning Babylon. This should allow us to more accurately zero in on the true identity of Babylon today. Though there are various prophecies in the Old Testament concerning Babylon, the majority of significant prophecies concerning End Times Babylon are found in six chapters of the Holy Bible. Two of them – from Revelation – we have read above. There are also two chapters from Jeremiah (50 and 51) and two from Isaiah (13 and 14). The information in these chapters covers more than simply the identification of MYSTERY Babylon. Among other things, the eventual destruction of Babylon is described. But for our purposes here, we want simply to identify MYSTERY Babylon. Let’s remember that from the time these prophecies were penned until today, these prophesied events have not yet occurred.
We notice that Jeremiah 50 begins by stating that he is prophesying against Babylon and then he describes the time period. There are those who claim that these prophecies have already been fulfilled; they are incorrect. The time frame is very obviously the time of the end, since it references the re-gathering of Israel and refers to all of Israel seeking the LORD (Yahweh) and to joining the LORD in a perpetual covenant.
1 ¶ The word that the LORD spake against Babylon and against the land of the Chaldeans by Jeremiah the prophet………..
4 ………. In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the LORD their God.
5 They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten.
6 My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their resting place.
We learn in verse 12 that Babylon has a MOTHER. So Babylon has sprung from another nation, and that MOTHER nation will survive to be shamed by Babylon’s destruction. We also read that Babylon is the hindermost of nations. Hindermost in the Hebrew means last or future or end. This demonstrates for us that the prophecy is referring to a major yet young nation of the end time.
12 Your mother shall be sore confounded; she that bare you shall be ashamed: behold, the hindermost of the nations shall be a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert.
Strongs Hebrew Lexicon: (Hindermost)
the last or end, hence, the future; also posterity:— (last, latter) end (time), hinder (utter) -most, length, posterity, remnant, residue, reward.
Online Bible Hebrew Lexicon: (Hindermost)
AV-end 31, latter 12, last 7, posterity 3, reward 2, hindermost 1, misc. 5; 61
1) after part, end
1a) end, issue, event
1b) latter time (prophetic for future time)
1d) last, hindermost
In verse 16 we see an indication that the population of Babylon consists of people from various ethnic backgrounds.
16 Cut off the sower from Babylon, and him that handleth the sickle in the time of harvest: for fear of the oppressing sword they shall turn every one to his people, and they shall flee every one to his own land.
In verses 19 and 20 we see again that Jeremiah is referencing the time of the re-gathering of Israel when God will remove all the inequity of Israel. Neither the re-gathering of Israel nor the removal of Israel’s inequity has yet to occur.
19 And I will bring Israel again to his habitation, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon mount Ephraim and Gilead.
20 In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve.
In verse 23 God calls Babylon the HAMMER of the whole Earth. Does such a term indicate that Babylon is a “superpower” nation which God has used for his purpose? But God adds that Babylon will be eventually destroyed because she has “striven against” Him.
23 How is the hammer of the whole earth cut asunder and broken! how is Babylon become a desolation among the nations!
24 I have laid a snare for thee, and thou art also taken, O Babylon, and thou wast not aware: thou art found, and also caught, because thou hast striven against the LORD.
In verse 37, God leaves us with no doubt that the citizenry of Babylon is composed of numerous peoples.
37 A sword is upon their horses, and upon their chariots, and upon all the mingled people that are in the midst of her; and they shall become as women: a sword is upon her treasures; and they shall be robbed.
We learn from verse 39 that MYSTERY Babylon and the Babylon of Jeremiah’s prophecy, cannot be referring to the ancient City of Babylon which is in Iraq today. For we know from God’s promises to the Israelites that they (the Israelites) will at their re-gathering inherit as a part of their covenant land the ancient City of Babylon (see Deuteronomy 1:5-8, Deuteronomy 11:24, and Joshua 1:1-4). If MYSTERY Babylon and the Babylon of Jeremiah’s prophecy is to be uninhabited forever as stated below, then it must by simple logic be something different than the ancient City of Babylon.
39 Therefore the wild beasts of the desert with the wild beasts of the islands shall dwell there, and the owls shall dwell therein: and it shall be no more inhabited for ever; neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation.
In Jeremiah 51:6, we again see that Jeremiah is stressing the time frame for these prophecies. This refers to the END TIMES – the time of God’s vengeance. Verse 7 again demonstrates that MYSTERY Babylon must be a “superpower” nation used by God, since she has made the entire world “drunk” and the entire world is mad at her.
6 Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD’S vengeance; he will render unto her a recompence.
7 Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD’S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.
In verse 9 we see yet another indication that the population of Babylon consists of people from various ethnic backgrounds and various countries.
9 We would have healed Babylon, but she is not healed: forsake her, and let us go every one into his own country: for her judgment reacheth unto heaven, and is lifted up even to the skies.
As stated below in verse 13, MYSTERY Babylon is located upon many waters (oceans or seas) and is a very wealthy nation.
13 O thou that dwellest upon many waters, abundant in treasures, thine end is come, and the measure of thy covetousness.
We learn in verse 20 that MYSTERY Babylon is a military superpower and is used by God to destroy kingdoms. Jeremiah then states that God will repay Babylon for her evil actions. In verse 25, Jeremiah iterates that MYSTERY Babylon is a nation with the military power to destroy the Earth.
20 Thou art my battle axe and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms;
21 And with thee will I break in pieces the horse and his rider; and with thee will I break in pieces the chariot and his rider;
22 With thee also will I break in pieces man and woman; and with thee will I break in pieces old and young; and with thee will I break in pieces the young man and the maid;
23 I will also break in pieces with thee the shepherd and his flock; and with thee will I break in pieces the husbandman and his yoke of oxen; and with thee will I break in pieces captains and rulers.
24 And I will render unto Babylon and to all the inhabitants of Chaldea all their evil that they have done in Zion in your sight, saith the LORD.
25 Behold, I am against thee, O destroying mountain, saith the LORD, which destroyest all the earth: and I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and roll thee down from the rocks, and will make thee a burnt mountain.
In Verses 26, 29 and 43 Jeremiah repeats that after her destruction, MYSTERY Babylon will be desolate forever. This again underscores the fact that the Babylon of prophecy cannot be the ancient City of Babylon in Iraq, since the city in Iraq is to be possessed by the future nation of re-gathered Israelites.
26 And they shall not take of thee a stone for a corner, nor a stone for foundations; but thou shalt be desolate for ever, saith the LORD…..
29 …..And the land shall tremble and sorrow: for every purpose of the LORD shall be performed against Babylon, to make the land of Babylon a desolation without an inhabitant…..
43 …..Her cities are a desolation, a dry land, and a wilderness, a land wherein no man dwelleth, neither doth any son of man pass thereby.
In verse 44 we have an additional indication that the population of Babylon consists of people from various ethnic backgrounds and various countries.
44 And I will punish Bel in Babylon, and I will bring forth out of his mouth that which he hath swallowed up: and the nations shall not flow together any more unto him: yea, the wall of Babylon shall fall.
It surely seems that Jeremiah is telling us in verse 53 that MYSTERY Babylon will have a SPACE PROGRAM with which she will attempt to mount up to heaven and even place fortifications (weapons) in space!
53 Though Babylon should mount up to heaven, and though she should fortify the height of her strength, yet from me shall spoilers come unto her, saith the LORD.
Jeremiah ends his discussion of MYSTERY Babylon with a prophesy of her END.
61 And Jeremiah said to Seraiah, When thou comest to Babylon, and shalt see, and shalt read all these words;
62 Then shalt thou say, O LORD, thou hast spoken against this place, to cut it off, that none shall remain in it, neither man nor beast, but that it shall be desolate for ever.
63 And it shall be, when thou hast made an end of reading this book, that thou shalt bind a stone to it, and cast it into the midst of Euphrates:
64 And thou shalt say, Thus shall Babylon sink, and shall not rise from the evil that I will bring upon her: and they shall be weary. Thus far are the words of Jeremiah.
Though Isaiah devotes two chapters to his prophecies we will only utilize verses 13 and 14 of Chapter 14 for our purpose here. This passage is an additional indication that MYSTERY Babylon is a nation which possesses a space program. This passage seems to be a prophecy describing both MYSTERY Babylon and Satan the adversary. Perhaps this is also an indication that there is a close relationship between Satan and the government of MYSTERY Babylon.
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Let’s attend to one more verse from Zechariah. Zechariah 2:7 states, “Deliver thyself, O Zion, that dwellest with the daughter of Babylon.” This verse, along with a couple of others (Jeremiah 51:45 and Revelation 18:4) which call God’s people out of Babylon, certainly seems to indicate that MYSTERY Babylon will have a significant Jewish population. Certainly there are Israelites living in MYSTERY Babylon, and indications are strong that many of those are Jews.
We have now looked at several of the more significant of only a portion of the scriptural indicators describing for us just what is MYSTERY Babylon and where MYSTERY Babylon may be found. It has become painfully obvious that MYSTERY Babylon can only be the United States of America. The Great City can only be New York City.
- The United Nations in NEW YORK CITY is the only possible candidate for an organization or a city that “reigneth over the kings of the earth.”
- NEW YORK CITY is a major HARBOR CITY and is the major hub for all sea trade and marketing in the entire world.
- NEW YORK CITY is the financial hub of the entire global economy, and is the business center of the elite leaders (GREAT men of the Earth) who as a whole exercise more economic clout than do the leaders from any other city in the world. By some reports, more global economic influence comes from New York City than from the total of all the other cities of the world.
- NEW YORK CITY commerce has a greater influence on the global MUSIC industry than does any other city in the world.
- NEW YORK CITY commerce has a greater influence on the global PHARMACUETICAL industry than does any other city in the world. It is an easy stretch to conclude that NEW YORK is also the hub of control for illegal drug trade for the world.
- The UNITED STATES has Britain as a “mother” nation. Britain is still alive and well. How many other nations of the world can even claim to have emanated from a “mother” nation?
- The UNITED STATES easily qualifies as the “hindermost” of nations. Of all the powerful nations to have wielded influence on Planet Earth, the UNITED STATES is the youngest and is the last to have come on the scene. And the UNITED STATES is here in the end time, further meeting the definition of the Hebrew word translated as hindermost.
- The UNITED STATES more than any other nation is composed of a “mingled” citizenry who have numerous nations as their ancestral homeland.
- The UNITED STATES in the year 2006 is home to more Jews even than is the Nation of Israel.
- The UNITED STATES is the only nation who in 2006 can remotely qualify as the “hammer of the Earth.” What other nation has God used more than the UNITED STATES as a “battle axe and weapon of war with which he has broken in pieces the nations, and destroyed kingdoms”?
- The UNITED STATES easily qualifies as a nation that “dwellest upon many waters.” A study of a global map quickly shows that the UNITED STATES has almost no competition from other countries when it comes to the number of seas and oceans which touch it borders.
- The UNITED STATES is certainly “abundant in treasures.” When considering possession of and control over material wealth, no other nation can compare to the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!
- The UNITED STATES has a space program which is more accomplished and vaster than any other nation. More than any other nation – with the Soviets providing the only distant competition – the UNITED STATES has “mounted up to heaven” by going to the moon and to Mars and by sending probes to other planets. The UNITED STATES has also “fortified the height of her strength,” by placing powerful and exotic weapons in space.
Many leading Christian teachers, if not in fact the large and vast majority of Christian teachers, argue that the United States of America is not referenced in the Holy Bible. Even those teachers who focus their study and teachings on eschatology have a strong tendency toward the belief that the United States of America is absent in Biblical prophecy. These same teachers readily recognize that all major nations throughout history which have exerted any significant form of influence on the nation and citizenry of Israel – or the Jewish community – are without fail referenced in the Holy Bible. We are now at the culmination of human history prior to the Kingdom of God on Earth. We are at a point in time (since Friday, May 14, 1948) when the Jews have been re-gathered after a nineteen century absence from their homeland. No one can truthfully dispute that at this point in history, the United States of America is the most powerful nation on Earth. The United States of America has the mightiest military in recorded history; the USA has more influence over the global economy than does any other nation; the USA has more clout in the United Nations than does any other nation; the USA has had more influence in the building of other governments than has any other nation in the last century; the USA has had more influence in the destruction of other governments than has any other nation in the last century; the USA has had more influence on the cultural changes (from technology to music to apparel to transportation and much more) of the entire world than has had any other nation of the last century; indeed the USA has had more influence over the governments and nations and peoples of the world than has any nation of recorded history with the arguable exception of the original nation of ancient Israel. And since the dawn of the modern day nation of Israel, the USA has played more of a major role in the establishment of Israel’s government leaders and as Israel’s “protector” than has any other nation. So we have the United States of America as the major nation in the world at the culmination of the world as we know it, and the United States of America as the major outside influence on the government of God’s chosen people – the Jews of Israel – and yet God has failed to even mention this nation of major world influence in his Biblical prophecies? That’s simply not logical to us is it? A proper search of prophecy by an unbiased mind yields the discovery that the United States of America is indeed mentioned in Biblical prophecy. The USA stands out prominently in Biblical prophecy. When we once understand the MYSTERY spoken of by the Apostle John, we see that the USA stands out like a sore thumb in Biblical prophecy – a very sore thumb! We also then learn that the United States of America – MYSTERY BABYLON – is slated for complete destruction by the God of Abraham. That destruction is quickly approaching.
In questioning the logic which has been presented above, many people ask why would the United States be referred to as Babylon or MYSTERY BABYLON? Why would God not just put the United States plainly into his prophecies? First of all, if all prophecy were evidently plain on the surface to all who read it, then those leaders who wish not to follow God would be constantly trying to re-route coming events. For His own purposes God has chosen to keep many things secret. Let’s not forget that Jesus even taught with parables in order to hide knowledge from the world. But Jesus did tell us that if we earnestly seek, then we will find. And to any of us who are willing to accept logical truth, how can we ignore the relatively simple logic presented above when it is once pieced together? Regardless of how God has presented the information, and regardless of our personal feelings concerning the United States of America, how can we come to any other conclusion?
The above reasons furnish us with a beginning of the many reasons why NEW YORK CITY and the UNITED STATES of AMERICA seem very qualified to fit the description of MYSTERY Babylon as detailed in the Holy Bible. There is abundant additional information for those who might wish to study the subject in detail. But before we leave this topic there are just a few more important items which deserve our attention.
We should note that all of the ships coming into New York Harbor travel past a sign which says “Welcome to Babylon.” Babylon, New York is a city of over 200,000 people which lies along the waterway. It is one of the very few “Babylon’s” in the world. At least one author has reported that Babylon, New York is the only incorporated Babylon in America. There is at least one more Babylon in America which is located in Illinois, but it is apparently not an incorporated city.
For those who want to suppose, regardless of the evidence to the contrary, that the Ancient City of Babylon and the nation of which it was a part are truly represented by the prophecies concerning MYSTERY BABYLON, let’s not neglect an item of importance. Even if, by some major stretch of logic, we should conclude that the Ancient City of Babylon and the nation which controlled it are indeed the true targets of the prophecies which we have studied, we must remember what nation now truly owns and controls the Ancient City of Babylon. The Ancient City of Babylon, which lies south of Baghdad in Iraq, is today in the year 2006, controlled by and thus owned by The UNITED STATES of AMERICA! It is unlikely that the United States will give up control of Babylon in the near future.
And finally, let’s speak of pagan goddesses. The Babylonian goddess Ishtar whose followers practiced temple prostitution has been known by various names in various cultures. In the Roman Empire, Ishtar was called by the names of Venus and Libertas. The Romans went so far as to mint coins which displayed the likeness of Libertas and the inscription of her name. Of course we should remember that The UNITED STATES of AMERICA has also minted coins dedicated to the goddess “Liberty.” Though most good Americans do not like to think of the Statue of Liberty as being a pagan goddess, it seems that truth demands that the statue does indeed represent the very non-Christian idea of a very pagan goddess. Only minimal research is required to firmly establish that the Statue of Liberty, whether or not officially intended by the government of the USA, is certainly the representation of a pagan goddess. In his article entitled “Mystery Babylon,” Mr. Peter Goodgame has stated the following. “The Statue of Liberty was conceived of, funded by and created by men who were intimately involved in the organization known as the Freemasons. Edouard Laboulaye was the chief fundraiser and Frederic August Bartholdi was the head sculptor. These men, and the freemasons in general, idealize the pagan gods and goddesses of ancient Rome and Greece. It is a well known fact that Bartholdi intended the Statue of Liberty to be a representation of the Roman goddess Liberty, also known as Inanna and Ishtar.”
"We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home; nor shall her chosen altar be neglected."
— Spoken by President Grover Cleveland at the unveiling of the Statue of Liberty on October 28, 1886
POSTSCRIPT TO CHAPTER 16
Upon doing a complete study of Babylon and Mystery Babylon in scriptural prophesy we find that the prophecies obviously refer to an economic power, a political power, and a religious power. On this issue, practically all experts are in agreement. The above chapter has addressed the political power of Mystery Babylon and thus to a small degree the economic power of Mystery Babylon. We did not discuss the religious power which falls under the umbrella of Mystery Babylon. Perhaps we should address to a small degree, the religious aspect of Babylon in prophecy.
Several excellent books have delved into this issue in detail. Perhaps the best or at least the best known is Alexander Hislop’s, The Two Babylon’s. In his book, Mr. Hislop outlined the parallels between the Roman Catholic Church and the original Babylon religion of 4000 years ago. Some of the parallels are listed below.
- The Original Babylonian religion utilized the concept of the confessional booth in which lay persons confessed to a priest.
- The Original Babylonian religion utilized wafers during their religious services.
- The Original Babylonian religion had priests who wore robes.
- The Original Babylonian religion had priests who wore headwear in the shape of “fish heads.”
- The Original Babylonian religion utilized the burning of incense during some of their religious rites.
- The Original Babylonian religion observed a winter holiday during the solstice which occurs around December 22nd. This holiday involved the exchanging of gifts.
- The Original Babylonian religion observed a spring holiday which involved the worship of the Goddess Ashtar (Easter?) during which they worshipped at sunrise and utilized eggs and rabbits.
- The Original Babylonian religion utilized statues of a mother and of a child.
- The Original Babylonian religion utilized the symbol of the cross.
The list above is but a few of the similarities we can find involving both the original Babylonian Religion and the Roman Catholic Church. It becomes obvious after only casual reflection that today’s world in which we live is steeped in the mysteries of the political, economic, and religious powers attributed to Mystery Babylon in scripture. When we once realize this truth about Mystery Babylon and our present society, it is much easier to understand the DECEPTION we discussed in Chapter 6 which permeates this world while it is temporarily under the charge of Satan.