City of Gold!
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
— King David (Psalm 122:6)
In my Father’s house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you.
— Yeshua HaMashiach
Many of us in our formative years heard about and were taught about the streets of gold in Heaven. Often this teaching even came from some church service or Sunday school class. But in all the number of times this information has been passed on to us or to young children or to new converts, not once did the teaching include accurate references to the Holy Bible. Not once was there a scripture quoted by chapter and verse in order to help us or the student learn where in the Bible they may find the teachings about the streets of Heaven being paved with gold. The scripture was not quoted to us because it does not exist. It may very possibly be the case that Heaven does have streets of gold, but if it does, such information is not available to us in the Holy Bible. The Holy Bible does however describe for us a City of Gold. This city is to come down TO EARTH from Heaven. It will be a part of a NEW Earth. This City of Gold will be called JERUSALEM. Messiah Jesus gives us some intriguing information about this city as he speaks through the Apostle John in the Book of Revelation. The City of Gold is undoubtedly the same City about which we are told in the Letter to the Hebrews that Abraham awaited, for Abraham awaited a city which was built by God.
Hebrews 11:9-10, 16 – By faith he (Abraham) sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God…..But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
In Revelation chapters twenty-one and twenty-two we read about the City of Gold which is to come down from Heaven to Earth. This city is called the bride of Jesus. Such a reference must be referring to the dwelling place of the chosen and faithful, since we know that the Church, which is constituted of the chosen and faithful, is the bride of Jesus. So to also refer to this city as the bride seemingly can only mean that the bride resides or will reside in the City. We must ask ourselves if this City of Gold is at least a part of the promise which Jesus made in the 2nd verse of the 14th chapter of John: “In my Father’s house are many mansions….I go to prepare a place for you.” Is the City of Gold, which will be ON THE EARTH, the place which Jesus is now preparing for his bride? In addition to the City of Gold being called the Bride of Christ, it is also called the Tabernacle of God. So we also must wonder if this City of Gold is indeed the Father’s house which has many mansions.
Inside the City will be a TREE OF LIFE which yields a different fruit every month. The fruit will serve to heal the nations. This tells us that the nations must pay homage to their God and Creator by coming to the TREE OF LIFE for their healing. Thus while in search of health, the nations of the world will be drawn into the CITY of GOLD, or the City of God, or Jerusalem. This TREE OF LIFE will be watered by a river of water that flows from the throne of God and from the throne of Jesus the Christ.
The CITY OF GOLD will have no street lights. God will serve as the light for the entire City and for all the nations of the world. There will be no night for the light will be continuous. There will be no need for the light of the sun or moon.
All manner of precious stones will garnish the foundations of the wall of the CITY OF GOLD. Another precious stone will be utilized for the composition of all the city gates. There will be twelve entrances into the city and each entrance will have a gate that is always opened. The twelve gates will be composed of pearl. So both the “pearly gates” and the “streets of gold” which are described in the Holy Bible will be on Earth – not in Heaven.
We should note that the PEARL gates are unique among the precious stones mentioned. All the other stones are gemstones – or rocks. But the pearl is different; it comes from an oyster. A pearl exists only due to an irritation within an oyster. The irritation may be a particle of clay or soil, or a minute parasite or worm, or some other type of very small animal. When the small animal or parasite causes the irritation within the oyster, it is then entombed within the pearl. It is interesting for us to note that the pearl is quite often a tomb. It is also quite interesting for us to note that the pearl comes from an “unclean” aquatic animal. Jews (and Christians) who keep the kosher food laws, or the food laws taught by Moses, will not eat oysters. Just exactly what this information concerning the pearl might mean is quite speculative at this point in time, but it is intriguing for us to consider that the GATES into the city come from an animal which the Israelites have been taught is unclean, and that these GATES are also the result of an irritation, and that these GATES are most often a tomb of sorts.
This is most certainly a City which possesses magnificence beyond description. It is also a huge city – vast almost beyond comprehension. In size it is vastly beyond anything the Earth has ever seen. The city is to be a square of 1500 miles on each side at its base. This means that the twelve entrances to the city through the pearl gates will be 500 miles apart. And aside from the gates, it will be difficult to enter the city since the wall surrounding the city will be 216 feet high! So what we have is a city that stretches on each side further than the distance from Dallas, Texas, to Los Angeles, California. At its base the City of Gold will be approximately one-half the size of the continental United States. But in addition to this the City of Gold will also reach 1500 miles into the sky! Summer thunderstorms sometimes have enormous clouds that reach to twelve miles above the surface. This city will be 125 times higher than such clouds! It will be an enormously huge City of Gold.
Let’s try and get a better feel for the size of this city. First of all, we might note that the description of the city as a square must be thought of in terms of spherical geometry. Since the city has a “foundation” which is decorated with precious gemstones, and a wall, we can seemingly conclude that the City of Gold will actually set on the face of the Earth. This being the case, the sides of the city must be curved as opposed to the straight lines we would think about on a two dimensional plane. To get an idea of this concept, let’s think about the lines on a basketball. If we were to hold a basketball in our hands with the lines on the ball running generally from one hand to the other, we could imagine that we were holding each of the ”poles” of the spherical basketball under each hand. We would then notice that the lines which are parallel would be further apart at the “center” or “equator” of the basketball than at the “ends” or “poles” of the ball. When dealing with solid or spherical geometry as opposed to plane geometry, “straight” lines can appear to be quite curved. With a city the size of the City of Gold, the exterior walls would necessarily be curved if our reference were a two dimensional plane. So the city would either appear to bulge between the corners, or perhaps have a concave appearance on the four sides. If the city is to be a “cube,” then the top of the cube will be larger than the base of the cube, since the perimeter distances would expand as the city rises 1500 miles into the sky and further away from the center of the Earth. But we might suspect that as opposed to a cube shape that the city will possess a pyramidal shape. In this shape the top would be smaller than the base, of course, but the sides would still appear to either bulge or to curve inward.
Let’s now do some calculations involving the capacity or volume of this City of Gold. For these calculations we will assume that the city will have a pyramid shape. Just for fun, let’s assume that the city might be divided into stories such as those in a tall building. We stated above that thunderstorms sometimes reach as high as twelve miles, thus to provide each story with a complete atmosphere similar to what we now experience, let’s assume that the City of Gold has 125 stories each of which are twelve miles high. With this configuration, the city would contain over 45 billion acres of “floor space.” If we then assume that the total population of all the world including everyone living and dead who has ever touched the Earth as a human is 15 billion people, then we discover that all of these people could fit comfortably within the City of Gold and have a total of three acres each! Had we assumed that the city is to have a cube shape, the space inside would more than triple.
We are told that the City of Gold will be a part of a new Heaven and new Earth and that there will be no need of sun and moon. If this means that the sun and moon will literally be no more, and that the Earth will be a totally new structure from top to bottom, then we do not really know what to expect as the setting for this City of Gold. If however, the reference to a “new Heaven and new Earth,” refers to a re-vamping of this world such as what happened after the flood of Noah’s time, then we can make an additional observation. And it does seem perhaps that we will be experiencing a re-vamping of the existing Heaven and Earth. Since we are told that the City of Gold will come down from Heaven to Earth we might infer that the existing Heaven and existing Earth will still be used – just in a changed format. We are also told that the TREE of LIFE will produce twelve different fruits over each of twelve months. With the new Earth still having twelve months, we might guess that this means that the existing orbital cycles of the Sun, Earth and Moon are still relatively the same as the existing cycles which would indicate a re-vamping of the existing Earth as opposed to a new structure. Let’s note that we are told that due to the light emanating from God, there will be no need for the Sun or Moon for light, but we are not told that the Sun and Moon are no longer a part of the system of the new Heavens and New Earth. Now for our additional observation: if the existing Earth is to be re-vamped, then we can speculate that the Earth will experience a continuous wobbling in any rotation it might make. The City of Gold will be so huge and heavy (gold is heavy) that the Earth would wobble significantly on its axis. Perhaps this wobbling will play a part in the method used to establish perfect weather throughout the world.
We now understand that the “pearly gates” refer to entrances into the city which will serve as the home of the Bride of Jesus the Messiah, and as the tabernacle of God. We know that this city will be a City of Gold so pure that it is transparent and that the streets will even be constructed of this gold. We, thus have a partial description of at least a part of the construction project on which Jesus has been working for the last two thousand years. The City of Gold will be the physical home of his bride in this space-time continuum. What else might await the bride we can only attempt to imagine.
I Corinthians 2:9 – Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
We should also note that this City of Gold is apparently not the “end” or culmination of all of God’s plans since we are told that he is to “tabernacle” in the City of Gold. Tabernacle is a word which when used in scripture almost invariably refers to a temporary dwelling place; this is a strong indication that something more is awaiting further down the line.
Let’s close this chapter by reading the words of Brother John as he describes our future home……
- And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
- And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
- And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
- And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
- And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
- He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
- But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.
- And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain (or a lofty place which was lifted above the plain), and shewed me that great city, THE HOLY JERUSALEM, descending out of heaven from God,
- Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
- And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
- On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
- And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
- And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
- And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs (or 1500 miles). The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
- And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits (or approximately 216 feet), according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
- And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and THE CITY WAS PURE GOLD, like unto clear glass.
- And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
- The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
- And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
- And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
- And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
- And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
- And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
- And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
- And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
- And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
- In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there THE TREE OF LIFE, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
- And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
- And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
- And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
- And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
- Behold, I come quickly (or suddenly): blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
- And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
- Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
- And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand (or the time is ready).
- He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
- And, behold, I come quickly (or suddenly); and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
- Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
- For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
- I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
- And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
- For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
- And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
- He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly (or suddenly). Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
- The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.